Over 20,000 members will continue to build power for workers throughout Northeast Ohio.
In a historic decision, members of UFCW Local 17A and UFCW Local 880 voted overwhelmingly to approve a merger. Effective October 1, 2023, the merger not only expands 880’s ranks but also solidifies our position as the leading voice for workers throughout Northeast Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.
- Sonja Campbell, formerly the President of Local 17A, will step into the role of Director of Meat Packing and Food Processing.
- Tina Kendel, previously the Secretary-Treasurer of Local 17A, will now serve as the Executive Assistant to the Director of Meat Packing and Food Processing.
- The Canton office will remain open to serve members.
- Existing committees will stay in place in the factories.
- Our Executive Boards will combine to facilitate a seamless transition.
“Miles and I have collaborated closely over the past few months, crafting a roadmap for the members we represent that prioritizes their welfare,” shares Ms. Campbell. “We now have more resources to win better contracts, enforce those contracts and improve working conditions throughout Northeast Ohio.”
“The unanimous approval of both Executive Boards and overwhelming support for the merger from members of both local unions signals a shared vision of a stronger future,” said Miles Anderson, President of UFCW Local 880. “We are excited to build on this momentum, tackle new challenges and achieve even greater milestones together.”